Copyright © 1999, David Griffin
This Rite centers around the letters INRI, which tradition says were written upon the cross of Jesus Christ as an abbreviation for Jesus of Nazareth, King of the Jews. There are, however, numerous other levels of occult meaning regarding these four letters in the Rosicrucian Magical Tradition. One of these is a Hermetic secret alluded to by the Latin phrase "Igne Natura Renovatur Integra" which means "By fire, nature is perfectly renewed." These four letters additionally adorn the rays of the angles of the Rose Cross Lamen worn by Adepts of the Ordo Rosae Rubeae et Aureae Crucis.
A deeper interpretation lies occulted behind the attributions of the Hebrew letters and the Magical Forces to the Paths on the Qabalistic Tree of Life. The Path attributed to the Hebrew letter y is attributed to the Zodiacal Sign Virgo as well, that of n to Scorpio, and r to the Sun. There exist further magical associations between the Sign Virgo with the Egyptian Goddess Isis, Scorpio with Apophis, and the Sun with Osiris. When the first letter is taken from the Names of each of these Gods, the name "IAO" is formed. Additionally, due to the Signs associated with Isis, Apophis, and Osiris, they form the letters "LVX."
Thus within the letters IRNI lie concealed the letters IAO and LVX, which may also be found upon the rays of the angles of the Rose Cross Lamen worn by Adepts of the R. R. et A. C. The name IAO was considered by the Gnostics to be the Supreme Name of God. Its letters further allude to Salt, Sulfur, and Mercury in Alchemy and to an even more recondite secret symbolized by the relationship between Isis, Apophis, and Osiris.
1. Stand West of the Altar facing East. Make a fist with your right hand, and strike the center of your chest with it. This gesture proclaims symbolically that power is about to be drawn into your Sphere of Sensation.
2. Perform the Rite of the Qabalistic Cross.
3. Proclaim loudly, the letters: "INRI."
4. With your Planetary or Elemental Banishing Dagger, trace large golden white (the color of a candle flame) Hebrew letters before you (over the Altar from right to left). As you trace, vibrate "INRI."
5. Clasp your hands together over the center of your chest. Interlace your fingers and, if using a Dagger, hold it between your knuckles pointing upward. Extend your elbows horizontally.
6. Proclaim: "Virgo, Isis, mighty Mother. Scorpio, Apophis, destroyer. Sol, Osiris, slain and risen. Isis, Apophis, Osiris." Vibrate: "IAO."
7. Give the Sign of Osiris Slain.
8. Give the Sign of the Mourning of Isis. Proclaim: "The Sign of the mourning of Isis."
9. Give the Sign of Apophis and Typhon. Proclaim: "The Sign of Apophis and Typhon."
10. Give the Sign of Osiris Risen. Proclaim: "The Sign of Osiris."
11. Give the Sign of Osiris Slain. Proclaim: "Slain."
12. Give the Sign of Osiris Risen. Proclaim: "And risen."
13. Give the Sign of Osiris Slain. Inhale slowly and deeply.
14. Give the Sign of the Mourning of Isis. Proclaim: "L," and exhale slowly and completely.
15. Give the Sign of Apophis and Typhon. Proclaim: "V," and inhale slowly and deeply.
16. Give the Sign of Osiris Risen. Proclaim: "X." "LVX," and exhale slowly and completely.
17. Give the Sign of Osiris Slain. Proclaim: "the Light," and inhale slowly and deeply.
18. Give the Sign of Osiris Risen. Proclaim: "of the cross," and exhale slowly and completely.
19. Perform either the Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Hexagram (when being used in conjunction with that Ritual), or finish with the Rite of the Qabalistic Cross.